Dave Myers & The Surftones !




Multi-instrumentalist Dave Myers played guitar, tenor sax, trumpet, bongos, and steel guitar. As a college music major, he was influenced by the folk, blues, jazz and classical music while copping some of his mentor Dick Dale's frenzied double-picking surf playing.
For sure, there have been literally hundreds of surf bands that have come and gone over the years, but Dave Myers and the Surftones were one of the best. Every element that one would expect in good surf music is in their music: bubbling bass, cracking drums, twanging guitar and wailing horns. Sure, that could be said of many surf bands, but they melded these elements seamlessly.

Dave Myers & The Surftones - Moment Of Truth

Dave Myers & The Surftones - Church Key


Comments

Anonymous said…
i just found this ..i remember sitting on the band stand at the rendevous ballroom in balboa (newport beach california)and listening to dave meyers who were regulars for awhile just rip the crap out of that surf sound...
jonesy
shar said…
who was the Sax player for Dave Meyers and the Surftones when they played Harmony Park in the 1960's? Was his name Dennis?

Shar
Anonymous said…
I was a drummer for the Surftones for the recorded song "Gear" and also during the Battle of the Bands. I went under Ross von Kleist at that time.
I am looking for any memorabilia that anyone might still have. I talked with Dave Myers. But we were kids back then and didn't keep anything ourselves - go figure.

You can reach me at rossnbarbara@centurytel.net

Thanks!!
Anonymous said…
I spent many happy Sunday evenings at Harmony Park listening to Dave Myers and the band. I used to requst the song "Sea of Love" and he always played it for me. I had such a crush on him. He gave me a ride home one night. I will never forget that night and Harmony Park.

Sue
Barry said…
Dennis Merrit played Sax

Popular posts from this blog

THEE BLOODY END !!!

A Bloody Summer Mix 2012 !!!

Halloweeeeeeeen (Part 17) !!!