The Stooges !




I'm a lil' bit tired today, thanx to Iggy and the Asheton brothers !

During the psychedelic haze of the late '60s, the grimy, noisy and relentlessly bleak rock & roll of the Stooges was conspicuously out of time. Like the Velvet Underground, the Stooges revealed the underside of sex, drugs and rock & roll, showing all of the grime beneath the myth. The Stooges, however, weren't nearly as cerebral as the Velvets.
Taking their cue from the over-amplified pounding of British blues, the primal raunch of American garage rock, and the psychedelic rock (as well as the audience-baiting) of the Doors, the Stooges were raw, immediate and vulgar. Iggy Pop became notorious for performing smeared in blood or peanut butter, diving into the audience. Ron and Scott Asheton formed a ridiculously primitive rhythm section, pounding out chords with no finesse -- in essence, the Stooges were the first rock & roll band completely stripped of the swinging beat that epitomized R&B and early rock & roll.
During the late '60s and early '70s, the group was an underground sensation, yet the band was too weird, too dangerous to break into the mainstream. Following three albums, the Stooges disbanded, but the group's legacy grew over the next two decades, as legions of underground bands used their sludgy grind as a foundation for a variety of indie-rock styles, and as Iggy Pop became a pop cultural icon.

Anyway, it was 65 minutes of happiness last night.

Iggy & The Stooges - Tight Pants

Iggy & The Stooges - Dirt

Iggy & The Stooges - No Fun


Comments

mrdantefontana said…
I wish I had been there.
They were my first musical heroes.
Anonymous said…
Great work! if you want to hear some more Iggy & Co., checkout Little Steven's Underground Garage website. He recently devoted a whole shoe to Iggy w/ various songs, covers, and inspirations.
Cheers`
Reverend Frost said…
Hey thanx, I definitely have to link Little Stevens site, it's always great !(And we're big fans of Sylvio here)
MrDT, to be honest, I stole my first Raw Power Lp when I was 13 in a party...
Maxim said…
Oh man, I can't wait - I am flying to London from Ireland for one night in August just to see the Stooges - I had a peculiar compilation album made up of tracks from the first two rekkids back when I was a teen and it warped me beyond what words can describe. So god-dammned exxxcited.
Reverend Frost said…
Setlist :

Loose
Down On The Street
1969
I Wanna Be Your Dog
Dirt
Little Doll
1970
Fun House
No Fun
Skull Ring
Dead Rock Star
Real Cool Time
(Encore)
I Wanna Be Your Dog

Enjoy the gig mate !
mrdantefontana said…
Reverend Frost said... I stole my first Raw Power Lp when I was 13 in a party...
How come I'm not surprised!
;-)
mrdantefontana said…
Just like to add that I was 13 too. But I bought mine. Just in case the Riaa police are listening...
;-)
Reverend Frost said…
Ok sorry, "borrowed" is the right word. And I have a good excuse ,the guy I took it from was a real moron :)

Popular posts from this blog

THEE BLOODY END !!!

A Bloody Summer Mix 2012 !!!

Halloweeeeeeeen (Part 17) !!!