The Clovers !




The Clover's origins, like those of so many R&B vocal outfits, goes back to the members' middle teenage years. Tenor/baritone Harold "Hal" Lucas, tenor Billy Shelton, and bass Robert Woods were students at Armstrong High School in Washington, D.C., during the mid-'40s when they formed a trio led by Lucas, who also came up with the name the Clovers. A fourth member, John "Buddy" Bailey, another tenor, joined up and eventually became their lead singer, while Lucas started singing baritone. Their early sound was influenced by the likes of such professional outfits of the era as the Orioles and the Ravens.
They occupy an exalted place in the history of R&B, if not in the minds of many listeners, other than hard-core devotees of the music's history -- the Drifters tend to eclipse them, by virtue of their longer history and the string of hits that the later incarnation of that group had during the 1960s. The truth is that the Clovers not only started earlier than any other act on Atlantic, but they also scored more hits in their six years there than any other R&B act in the label's history.

The whole story’s here!

The Clovers - Little Mama
The Clovers - Hey, Miss Fannie
The Clovers - Blue Velvet




RETURN OF THE LEGENDARY STUPID FRIDAY BONUS !

Jackie Powers - New River Train

Have a great weekend !

Comments

C. said…
You can't go wrong with the Clovers, Rev. What a fine selection! Happy weekend, too, while I'm at it.
Tuwa said…
Dear Rev, thank you for today's sermon. I've developed a time machine so I can hear it over and over again. Oh wait. No, that's just iTunes.
The DoorKeeper said…
Well Jackie Powers gets my vote for all time funniest Yodelling solo - where on Earth do you find 'em?
Reverend Frost said…
Thanks guys !
Gumbo, vinyl vinyl !!! (check out the 'sin alley' comps)...actually, the song is really good while driving.
Larry Grogan said…
Excellent! Love the Clovers...One Mint Julep, Love Potion #9 !!
Anonymous said…
Come on man! Have a nice weekend? I spent it all looking for this Jackie Powers dude. Closest I get is that his kid calls him both Jackie Gotroe & Jackie Powers. Is this the same guy? Detailed record sites mention the Powers name but have no info. You posted this track as an evil joke, right? Please put me outta my misery... jAKAsso! dainecity@hotmail.com Thank you Thank you Thank you
Reverend Frost said…
Thanks Larry !
Dainecity (that'll be your name from now on), I'm in pain & misery too, the only thing I know is that his real name is Jackie Gautreaux, he recorded under few different names , new river train is the b-side of 'Heeby-Jeeby Blues', my grandma is Wanda Jackson, and I'll send you more informations soon (I have my best men on the case, some super secret rock'n'roll agents). Cheers
Lee Hartsfeld said…
Thanks for the Clovers tracks--but no "Your Cash Ain't Nothing But Trash"??? Reverend, I don't know what to say.

Yes, a magnificent group that, as you know, served as the model for The Coasters. And it's The Coasters who get all the press. That sucks.

Of course, the Clovers were merely carrying on the work of the Ravens, Mills Brothers, Ink Spots, Robins, Orioles, and others. But I love them to death, anyway. In the arts, everyone copies everyone else. ( <:

Lee
Reverend Frost said…
Leeeeeee !
you're absolutely right.
my clever neighbour says the same thing (about Britney Spears).
Culture, Culture, what have they done to you?
Anonymous said…
Some clarification on Jackie Powers. My Dad is Jackie Gotroe aka Jackie Powers. This is NOT the same guy that yodells. Jackie Powers was my Dad's showbiz name when her recorded for Decca in 1960. He only recorded one single under this name. BTW I am looking for a promo copy of this record if anyone has one. Childs Play/Carolina Moon.

Best,

Jacques Gautreaux

Popular posts from this blog

THEE BLOODY END !!!

A Bloody Summer Mix 2012 !!!

Halloweeeeeeeen (Part 17) !!!