Love Me !




Jerry Lott a.k.a. The Phantom was born near Mobile, Alabama in 1938 and moved to Leaksville, Mississippi during infancy. He played country music until 1956 when Elvis Presley turned his head around.
"Love me", recorded in Mobile in the summer of 1958, is one of those rare, lusty explosions which crackle with more energy than the national grid. Lott took the master to Hollywood. On a Satanic impulse, he followed Pat Boone to church and persuaded him to listen to the tape.The devil was surely working overtime that Sunday. It was Boone's idea to call Lott "The Phantom" and he even agreed to issue the record on his own label, Cooga Mooga (an euphemisme for God, as in Great Cooga Mooga). In the event, Lott signed a contract with Boone's management and never met anyone at Dot, who finally released "Love me" in 1960. In 1966 this screaming bundle of testosterone sustained paralytically severe injuries when a car in which he was travelling tumbled 600 feet down a mountainside near Spartanburg, South Carolina. There were no more records on Dot or Cooga Mooga (although a mediocre fragment has surfaced on a White Label collection).

The Phantom - Love Me

The Phantom - Whisper Your Love


Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the Phantom's Love Me, but I think the Cramps did it better. Just my opinion.
Anonymous said…
Oh and I thought Teenage Cave Man was funny when I saw it, though I'd say it was a bit shit aswell... The story is rather cool, but Roger Corman (and the ugly look of the monster near the end) fucked it up.
Reverend Frost said…
Indeed, when I saw TCaveman the first time , I thought it was crap, watched it again with a bunch of friends (with a lotta jack daniels), and, damn, I thought it was brilliant...
Loki said…
excellent stuff... first heard this on some psychobilly compilation about 15 years ago and it's been a favourite ever since (and fwiw i think it's better than The Cramps version... less forced, more unfortunately manic)... him, Hasil Adkins and The Legendary Stardust Cowboy are were rock n roll should have gone...
guapo said…
It`s the greatest!
Chris Oliver said…
I always thought it was much better than The Cramps version. But I think the same thing of Surfin' Bird, Strychnine, Green Fuz, The Crusher...the only song I think The Cramps kind of improved was She Said.
BwcaBrownie said…
raphael - I cannot believe Roger Corman ever accidentally fueckd anything up.

Popular posts from this blog

THEE BLOODY END !!!

A Bloody Summer Mix 2012 !!!

Halloweeeeeeeen (Part 17) !!!