Shout !



A friend asked me last week who wrote ‘Shout !’ – one of my fav song in the whole wide world - and honestly, it’s pretty sad when someone doesn’t know the Isley Bros.
Founded in 1954, the original members were brothers O'Kelly, Jr., Rudolph, Ronald and Vernon Isley, singing just gospel until Vernon's death from a car accident in 1955. After a brief split, the three older brothers reformed as a trio.The Isleys wrote this on the spur of the moment at a Washington, DC, concert in mid-1959. As they performed Jackie Wilson's "Lonely Teardrops," Ronald Isley ad-libbed, "WELLLLLLLLLLL... you know you make me want to SHOUT" and Rudy and O'Kelly joined in on the improvisation. The audience went wild and afterwards, RCA executive Howard Bloom suggested putting it out as their first RCA single. This was never a chart success, but it sold over a million copies and became a Rock and R&B classic!
Btw, The song has its own dance. When The Isleys sing the "little bit softer now" part, you go a little lower, then gradually rise up for the "little bit louder now part." For the rest of the song, you just jump around and go crazy :)
The Isley Brothers Discography – Search them, buy them all!

The Isley Brothers:
* Shout (Part I & II) *
* That Lucky Old Sun *
* Nobody But Me *


Comments

Anonymous said…
YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!
THANK YOU REV!
The DoorKeeper said…
O'Kelly - now there's a proper 'Christian' name to be sure LOL

Great tracks Rev. :D
Anonymous said…
Show me that reefer..Johnny O'Keefe does a fair rendition but for me it's Ronnie Spector, handsfockindownmon
Anonymous said…
holy macaroni, youre the real thing.
been reading yer blog from the beginning, and frankly, you still got it. you have no idea how much I spent on cds since you showed up on the internet.
BUT I need another lp of your own stuff, I LOVED the first one and I WANT MORE you genius bastard !
mike
Anonymous said…
I totally agree with Mike, you're the real dude and all your posts are awesome! Thanks Rev for educating us!! I also want another lp from you and I think Im gonna launch a petition for it.... So if any other bloggers want a second lp from Rev Tom Frost, let's say it or shout it...fuck it, you're a genius man, tou need to be famous!!!
Anonymous said…
Tommy,
I only got one thing to say, "Twistin' With Linda", Man. Right On! & You are famous to me!!
Fuckin' Anonymous D
Anonymous said…
1. Great songs, as usual...

2. I agree with the last comments : We're all waiting for the 2nd album !


Et sinon, pour les français résidant à "South of Hell, France", pas de concerts prévus ?
Reverend Frost said…
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa THANK YOU.
More soon !
Tuwa said…
Yeah, the Isley Brothers are great. Like anyone with a long career they have a few low points, but the high points more than make up for it.
Reverend Frost said…
yup, same thing for Celine Dion.
No wait, it's been awful from the beginning.

Popular posts from this blog

THEE BLOODY END !!!

A Bloody Summer Mix 2012 !!!

Halloweeeeeeeen (Part 17) !!!